Advertisements
Ireland / Travels in Europe

Have you seen what Finn MacCool did at the Giants Causeway?

Finn MacCool

Well according to the legend of Finn MacCool or Fionn mac Cumhaill, he is a giant.  Finn is from the Fenian Cycle in Gaelic mythology.  So our tour guide told us one of the versions.

Fight

So the story goes… The Scottish giant Benandonner challenged Finn.  Finn accepted the challenge to fight and he built the causeway across the North Channel so they could meet and duke it out.  The story we were told was that Benandonner was much bigger than Finn and when he found out he started to drink before the big fight.  He drank so much he passed out.

His wife Oonagh, was a smart one, dressed him as a baby and tucked him in bed.  When Benadonner came to the door looking for Finn his wife told him that he was not there, just the baby.  Benadonner saw how big Finn’s baby was and figured that Finn was much bigger than him and headed back to Scotland, destroying the causeway so Finn would not be able to chase him down.

The actual way the Giants Causeway formed, was due to an ancient volcanic fissure eruption.  There are about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, the result of the eruption.  On the Isle of Staffa, Fingal’s Cave has the same basalt columns so hence the story could have come from this, but the Giant story is so much more exciting.

Isn’t nature amazing?

Giants Causeway

When we arrived here, I was excited to get out and stretch and admire the incredible beauty of this part of the Atlantic Ocean and Ireland.  There were plenty of tourists, but not so bad that I did not have my own space.  When I travel, especially alone, I just admire the wonder of where ever I am.  I feel so lucky that I am able to travel when I can and its humbling at times.

Climbing around the causeway must be done carefully, it is wet!

• There is a visitor centre
  • There is a fee.  If you have a membership to the National Trust, that gets you in
  • You can walk down to the causeway or take a bus for a fee
  • There are some trails you can take
  • You can rent headphones so you can learn about the causeway
  • They use Pounds, not Euro.  This is North Ireland
  • It rains a lot here, so come prepared
  • Make sure if you are in North Ireland or even Ireland come here.  It is worth it

Strangely, out of nowhere, the rain started to roll in at almost the end of my walkabout at the causeway.  (that was supposed to be funny).  I made it on my little walking tour without rain and sure enough, it started as soon as I got into the little bus.  It was cold if you can’t tell and the wind, well let’s just say, it was hard to even smile with the wind at that time smashing my face…

After taking the bus back, I had time for a nice little snack.  I went to the Causeway Hotel for some warming up and food and drink!

Luckily our bus and the tour group were all on time and my short time at the Causeway came to an end.  Off to the next adventure.  I can’t wait to come back here and adventure on the trails I did not have time for.

Next time Finn, next time.

Lean mé chuig an gcéad eachtra eile

Sheri

Advertisements

Comments

December 24, 2019 at 10:18

Thank you for all your support. Merry Christmas

Anonymous
January 18, 2020 at 07:54

Great

wherewillyoubeinayear
    January 27, 2020 at 07:38

OMGosh… thank you so much!!!!! I follow your site and have for a while and love your stuff and am honored that you complimented me!!!!.. I return the compliment kind, sir!!!!!! Thank you again, you made my day!

February 19, 2020 at 15:58

One of my favorite topics, Irish folklore and legends. My wife and I went to Ireland last September. My family came from County Clare, so we spent some time out west. I hadn’t been since the 90s! Thanks for your post. I enjoyed it!
Eamon

wherewillyoubeinayear
    February 19, 2020 at 16:57

Thank you so much!!! I loved it there and I really can’t wait to explore Ireland more. So much to see and the culture is amazing. Thank you for reading my post….
    Sheri

March 20, 2020 at 02:29

Ireland is a strange country, indeed…

March 25, 2020 at 16:57

I prefer the Benandonner vs Finn explanation over the volcanic fissure story.

Today on my blog I nominated you for a Blogging Award. No need to partake if it’s not your thing by the way. 🙂

wherewillyoubeinayear
    March 26, 2020 at 18:55

Omgosh thank you so much!!!!!!! Wow I am honored!!!! Ya the Finn Mcool story is way better I think!!! Stay safe in these times.. and thank you once again!!!. Xoxo Sheri

April 6, 2020 at 19:39

“Let Your Dreams Be Bigger Than Your Fears.”
Yes, that has been a positive tenet in my life and definitely in yours.
Thanks so much for being a consistant Rocker at my site’s weekly “concerts” – hope they create the moments of fun intended.
Stay safe.
More power to you!

wherewillyoubeinayear
    April 6, 2020 at 21:27

Awesome!!!. I love your blog. Thanks for your kind words and thanks for all the cool posts!!!!! they are awesome!
    Stay safe…xoxo
    Sheri

wherewillyoubeinayear
    April 7, 2020 at 10:56

“Let Your Dreams Be Bigger Than Your Fears.”
    Yes, that has been a positive tenet in my life and definitely in yours.
    Stay safe.
    More power to you!

I released this out of the spam folder yesterday… I do apologize… I don’t know why some of my comments go there… but again I thank you for your kind words and thoughts…
    Please forgive me… I am not 100% pro at this yet..
    Sheri

April 15, 2020 at 09:39

Loved the Finn story. What an imagination someone had and imagine our hearing this story all these hundreds of years later..Think how many years it was passed down by word of mouth. Will this be true of any of our stories? Passed down by internet if we are lucky…

wherewillyoubeinayear
April 15, 2020 at 22:26

Is is super cool huh? Thank you for reading my post and I love all of your work and yes, it is amazing how this story passed down so long ago and is still being told!!
Take care!
Sheri
xoxo

Let me know what you think!!!

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: